Pediatric Pulmonologist in Northfield, IL
Under the direction of Steven Boas, M.D., our highly trained team of nurses, physiologists, dieticians, and researchers help young athletes improve their sports performance. These highly trained specialists safely test each student-athlete to determine their level of fitness and gaps in their performances.
Dr. Boas Credentials:
Besides his role as the director of the Sports Science Institute, Steven Boas, M.D., is the founder and president of Chicago Pulmonary Specialists. Board certified and fellowship trained in pediatrics and pediatric pulmonology, he is highly regarded as one of the region’s foremost authorities in cystic fibrosis, exercise-related disorders, asthma, and vocal cord dysfunction. He is a member of the American College of Sports Medicine and the American Academy of Pediatrics - Sports Medicine subsection.
Dr. Boas actively participates in both independent and national clinical research involving the newest potential therapies available for children with asthma and cystic fibrosis. He has authored dozens of book chapters and articles in national and international medical journals, and he has participated as a medical reviewer for exercise- and pulmonary-related journals.
Additionally, Dr. Boas is a clinical professor at Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, and he holds faculty appointments at the University of Illinois at Chicago and Rush Medical College. In these roles, Dr. Boas teaches medical residents, nurse practitioner students, respiratory therapists, physician assistant students, and graduate/undergraduate exercise physiologists.
Dr. Boas is also an active member of a number of professional societies:
- American Academy of Pediatrics, Fellow
- American College of Chest Physicians, Fellow
- American College of Sports Medicine, Fellow
- American Academy of Pediatrics, Pulmonology Subsection
- American Academy of Pediatrics, Sports Medicine Subsection
- American Association of Respiratory Care
- American Thoracic Society
- North American Society of Pediatric Exercise Medicine
- European Cystic Fibrosis Society
- The Cystic Fibrosis Consortium of Private Practitioners
- Illinois Newborn Screening for Cystic Fibrosis Subcommittee
- Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute Subcommittee (Prior Committee Member)
Dr. Boas is affiliated with a number of Chicago-area hospitals:
- Advocate Condell Hospital
- Advocate Sherman Hospital
- Alexian Brothers Medical Center
- Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago
- Edward Hospital
- NorthShore University HealthSystem
- Evanston Hospital
- Glenbrook Hospital
- Highland Park Hospital
- Skokie Hospital
- Northwest Community Hospital
- Northwestern Lake Forest Hospital
- Northwestern Memorial Hospital
- St. Alexius Medical Center
Outside of the office, Dr. Boas is an avid baseball fan, enjoys biking, and has a deep passion for patient advocacy.